Handmade bows are the perfect decoration to any present and aren’t as difficult to make as they look. To begin, you will need
|to choose some ribbon. Remember to choose the ribbon in the appropriate color, texture, and width for you. In most cases, you want the ribbon to match the wrapping paper and the width will determine how big the bow is. You will need about 45 inches of ribbon for a standard bow, but you may want to get more in case of errors. If you are making a smaller bow, then 45 inches should|
be plenty. Also be sure to have floral wire and scissors on hand.
*Note: Be sure to check out the excellent video ‘How to Tie a Bow from Ribbons : Instructional Video’
Once you have all of your supplies, follow these simple steps:
– Start by wrapping the ribbon around your outstretched fingers five or six times. For a larger bow you can spread your fingers apart; for a fuller bow you can add more wraps. The wraps are creating your loops, so feel free to have as many as you want.
– After you have wrapped your fingers with the desired length of ribbon, slide the ribbon from your fingers. Be sure to keep the ribbon wrap in shape and then fold the loops in half.
– Take your scissors and cut a small ‘V’ on either side of the ribbon. This incision should be at the edges of the fold, not the loops. Be careful that you don’t cut all the way through the center, i.e. cutting the ribbon in half.
– Tie the center off with the floral wire. This will leave you with two sides to your bow, but your loops should still be wrapped.
– Separate the loops one by one, beginning from the inside and working your way out. It is easier to complete one side at a time. Move the loops to the right and left as you separate them. Twist the loops towards you with each pull from the center.
– Fluff and arrange to your specifications and then trim the tails at an angle. You can use thin ribbon to tie your bow to the box.
And thatâ€™s all there is to it! Now get out there and make a bow that will make any gift look divine!