Flashlights today have evolved and come a long way in terms of performance, durability, efficiency and versatility. Among other variants, AA flashlights are especially popular, thanks to the ease of buying AA batteries, it’s portability and versatility.
Related: Best Hunting Boots
However, not all AA flashlights are built same. Some cheaper ones might be good enough for household jobs, but when you are in a tactical condition like hunting or trekking, performance can be a critical factor.
Some of the features that you should consider before buying a flashlight for any requirement are –
- Lumens – One of the most important factor to determine the performance of the flashlight, lumens are the measure of light emitted by the bulb. More the lumens, more the beam brightness.
- Beam Distance – It is a measure for how far the light will travel. It is important when you are going to use the flaslight outdoors. Lumens and beam distance together should beconsidered when filtering a flashlight. High lumens with short beam distance means performance similar to a flood light, whereas low lumen with long beam distance translate to spotlight kind of light.
- Battery Life – The run time of the battery is dependent on lumens offered as well as the efficiency of usage. Flashlight manufacturers list the battery life based on the lumens at different brightness levels. Some flashlights can run for weeks on the same battery that others might last for a few days only.
- User Interface – Modern flashlight offer different mode settings, for more user customization and efficient battery usage. Low power mode can save battery, when low lumen is just sufficient. Integrated memory function and preset modes are other aspect of user interface that can affect the usability of the flashlight.
- Material used – If you are keeping the flashlight as a backup and only rarely going to use it, a plastic one might just be sufficient. However, for more tactical and challenging conditions you need a solid aluminum or stainless steel construction, with possible water resistance and impact resistance.
- Size of the flashlight determines it portability. Lightweight and compact designs are portable while bigger ones are easy to find in dark.
7 Best AA Flashlights
After reviewing all the best AA flashlights available in the market, we have listed here the top 7 based on customer reviews, features and performance.
You should review based on the features that are important to you and we are sure, you will find the perfect AA Flashlight for your needs here.
1. Streamlight 88034 ProTac 1AA Flashlight
Streamlight flashlights are popular for their compact and simple design, that is meant to work, and 88034 ProTac is no different. Designed by a medical services professional, to provide optimal non-glare light for pupil and wound examination, they are easy to use even with gloved hands. They are one of the brightest and most well reviewed flashlights available today.
- Durable anodized aluminum construction houses 50,000-hour life C4 LED
- Shock-proof design
- Powers on at low beam: 3.6 lumens/runs 36 hours.
- ED Solid State power regulation provides maximum light output throughout
- Tail switch offers 3 light intensity modes – low, medium ad high
- Current price on Amazon – $40.08
2. Nitecore MT2A 345 Lumens LED Flashlight
Nitecore MT2A is a very compact, lightweight and high intensity flashlight. The Multi-Task (MT) series, using 2AA batteries (hence the name MT2A), offers true versatility by offering multiple combinations of brightness levels and modes. Its sleek design with superior performance makes it an ideal everyday carry flashlight.
- Superior-quality aero grade aluminum alloy construction
- An anti-reflective coating on the head you a powerful beam that reaches upto 166 yards
- Waterproof design that enables it to work properly even when submerged in water upto 2 m.
- Uses long-lasting CREE XP-G2 R5 LED that delivers a maximum brightness of 345 lumens on Turbo setting
- Two preset modes with convenient two mode interface and four brightness levels
- Integrated memory function to ensure it meets varying user requirements
- Current price on Amazon – $36.95
3. Fenix E12 LED Flashlight
Fenix E12 will surely surprise you with its small palm size that is packed with so much power. It is lightweight, sturdy and built to last, making it a great everyday carry. It offers great value for the price, uses a single AA battery and offers consistent brightness until the end of battery’s life.
- High intensity light beam with three adjustable brightness setting levels
- Precision-machined, high strength aluminum alloy case
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Functions properly after submerging it upto 2 meters underwater
- Uses CREE XP-E2 LED with a maximum lifespan of 50,000 hours
- Max 130 lumen output from a single AA battery
- Current price on Amazon – $26.95
4. ThruNite Archer 2A V3 Cool White 500 Lumens AA LED Flashlight
You will be impressed by the high-end features that ThruNite Archer 2A offers, at such a reasonable price. It produces good overall visibility and is very durable even when used for everyday use.
- Constructed from aerospace grade aluminum body with military grade Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
- 5 brightness settings with strobe mode useful in an emergency
- High-efficiency LED emitters
- Dual-button interface
- Waterproof with 1½-meter full immersion in water
- Can stand upright on rear end
- Memory function as well as momentary-on feature
- Powered by 2 AA batteries
- Max output 500 lumens
- 30-day free replacement guarantee and lifetime limited warranty
- Current price on Amazon – $29.99
5. Sunwayman V11R
One of the best single AA battery is the Sunwayman V11R for its brightness, usability and everyday carry. The variable output switch allows you to control the brightness, making it a great everyday carry flashlight and also save battery by controlling the light output.
- Aerospace-grade aluminum alloy Military Specification Type III- hard anodized body
- Waterproof, in accordance with IPX-8 standard Ultra-clear tempered glass lens resists scratches
- Lumen Output: 1-190; Turbo:500
- Magnetic ring that controls the brightness going from 1 lumen all the way to 190.
- Cree XM-L(U2) LED Bulb with 50,000 Hour Lifespan
- Can use CR123a, 16340, and AA batteries w/ Extender
- Rear Push Cap On/Off Switch
- 3 brightness settings with a beam distance of 63 meters.
- Superior quality OP reflector for high quality beam
6. Energizer High-Intensity Flashlight
One of the simplest design in the market, Energizer flashlights are easy to carry and ideal for light duty tasks and personal use like walking in the dark. It does not offer brightness modes making it a no-fuss design, yet popular because of its high strength aluminum construction and high intensity.
- High strength machined aluminum body provide durability
- Slip-resistant knurled grip with nylon lanyard with that allows for easy carrying
- Water resistant and drop tested
- push-button tail switch cap allows easy operation
- 150 lumens flashlight with 2.5 hours continuous use
- Current price on Amazon – $32.99
7. J5 Tactical V1-PRO Tactical Flashlight – Compact Tactical Design
Don’t be fooled by the small size of V1-PRO, as it offers bright light which you can see several meters away with easily. It’s lightweight, compact tactical design makes it portable while hunting and camping, providing ultra-bright LED light that runs for hours on a single battery. Though water-resistant, it is not meant for rains or underwater immersion.
- LED Producing Max Output of 300 Lumens and an Intense beam of light up to 600 feet
- Intelligent, 3-mode settings
- Runs off a single AA battery
- Solid, compact tactical design
- Current price on Amazon – $12.95
Flashlights are important tactical gears and should not be ignored or taken lightly. We are sure that our extensive review and list of top flashlights will help you make the right decision and find the flashlight that perfectly matches your requirements.