Whether you are in a tactical scenario, hiking, participating in any outdoor sport or hunting in the woods, you need the right clothing to give your best best performance on the job and improve your chances of survival.
You can think of tactical pants as cargo pants with added features to make them suitable for the rugged outdoors.
They are built to last using fabric like canvas, modern ripstop fabrics or specially treated cotton. Their design improves your flexibility and mobility.
Most models have reinforced knees and butts to allow you to move to your maximum reach, in any position. Additionally, their multiple pockets design with zips, allow you to conveniently store your gears and essential items.
They are a little expensive when compared to your ordinary cargo pants, but the features and durability make it well worth the price.
Top 7 Tactical Pants
Let’s quickly take a look at the top Tactical pants based on customer reviews, features and pros and cons.
1. 5.11 Men’s Tactical 74273 TacLite Pro Pant
Made from a combination of polyester (65%) and cotton (35%), the new and advanced 5.11 TacLite Pro Pants are both lightweight and rugged.
They have been very well reviewed on Amazon and other retail websites, by thousands of users. It is ideal for individuals who like to spend time outside for recreation or adventure.
- Perfect blend of cotton and polyester to maximize durability and comfort
- Reinforced stitching in high-stress areas like knees and seat, ensure that the pants last longer
- Wide carry belt loops to easily carry gears, sidearm and other essentials.
- Teflon treated to protect against stains and dirt, to give you a fresh look every time you wear it
- Multiple pockets design for tactical use with rear strap and slash pocket, cargo pockets and magazine/ cell phone pockets.
- Fully gusseted crotch offers full range movement.
- Hip mounted D-ring that serves as key or ID holder.
- Not most comfortable in heat
- Slightly swishy and noisier
2.Propper Men’s Lightweight Tactical Pant
The Propper Lightweight pants are top quality tactical pants with design that can be worn everyday along with tactical specifications for rugged and extreme outdoors.
The action stretch waistband, durable fabric with reinforced stitching and extra pockets, are just some of the features that make them the great active wear.
- Made from combination of polyester and cotton, the fabric offers both durability and comfort
- Wrinkle resistant and shrink proof fabric
- Breathable, all-weather fabric
- Action-stretch waistband fits snugly and bends during extreme outdoor activity
- Reinforced stitching and double fabric in seat and knees for greater durability
- Nine pockets with hidden pockets to store everything from your wallet to emergency knife
- Stain and dust repellent dupont Teflon fabric
- Low profile design for outdoor and casual wear with pleats to give a more slim and professional look
- Extra wide belt loops to easily carry tactical gear.
- Available in different colors
- Rear pockets are not easily accessible
- The original color is darker than it appears online.
- Tricky sizing
3. Propper BDU Trouser
Designed using battle rip material, the Propper BDU is sewed to military specifications for excellent performance, durability with comfort. Felled seams and reinforced high-stress areas provide increased durability without compromising on the mobility.
It is made using fade, shrink and wrinkle resistant material to maintain new-like look even after many washes.
- Designed to military specification
- 60% cotton and 40% polyester for comfort and life
- Long lasting battle rip fabric to withstand the harshest of weather and conditions
- Fade, shrink and wrinkle resistant material
- Felled seams throughout and reinforced seat and knees for maximum durability
- Adjustable waist tabs for comfort fit
- Six pocket design to store all your gears and essential items conveniently
- Durable drawstring leg closure
- Slightly tighter around the seat and crotch area.
4. TRU-SPEC Men’s 24-7 Tactical Pant
With design loosely based on what SWAT officers and other special operators like to wear, the TRU-SPEC 24/7 are great lightweight rip stop pants.
They are made from 35/65 cotton and polyester, which are comfortable in any weather and durable. They offer optimal fit, thanks to its self adjusting slider waist.
- Polyester and cotton rip stop fabric offer great durability
- Lightweight and comfortable design
- Great for outdoor rough conditions as well as casual wear
- Extra wide loops can accommodate large belt as well as tactical gears comfortably
- Self adjusting slider waist band
- Reinforce knees with opening for knee pads provides durability and comfort in tough environments
- Compartment for two magazines, and two pockets for accessory or knife.
- Extra deep front pockets for more storage space
- Slightly baggy legs
5. 5.11 Men’s Stryke Pant with Flex-Tac
These are another very popular tactical pants from 5.11 known for their versatility and durability. These easily allow you to carry a lot of stuff with 12-pocket design.
Ripstop material, fully gusseted crotch and knees, triple reinforced stitches with Teflon coating make these pants very durable.
- Made from patented two-way mechanical stretch 65% polyester/35% cotton ripstop fabric which makes them lightweight, offer flexibility and very durable
- Two front pockets to store knives, flashlights or other gears
- Teflon fabric lets your pants looking ageless
- Self-adjusting tunnel waistband for optimal fit
- Fully gusseted crotch and articulated knees allow full range of motion
- 12 pocket design with YKK zippers for storing tactical gears and essential items
- Triple stitch reinforcement provides unmatched durability
- Colors might fade easily
- Sizing issues
6. Propper Men’s Canvas Tactical Pant
Another bestseller from Propper are the Canvas Tactical Pants, with design that is made from high performance fabric and offer relaxed fit.
The 9 pockets design with extra large belt loops offers lot of storage for your gears. Its low profile appearance makes it easy to wear, while on duty or just lazing around.
- 65% polyester and 35% cotton
- Rugged canvas fabric coated with Teflon that repels stains and liquids.
- Reinforced knees and seats for extra durability
- Allows addition of knee pads
- Action stretch waistband
- Extra large belt loops with 9-pockets allow easy storage of gears and other items
- Fade, shrink and wrinkle resistant
- Some reviewers have complained about the poor quality of zipper
7. LA Police Gear Operator Tactical Pants with Elastic Waistband
These operator pants are rugged, comfortable, lightweight and most importantly offer best value for your money. The elastic waistband provides improved fit for more comfortable movement, whether you are wearing belts or not.
Its 8-pocket design with reinforced knees and other parts where you need it most, shows that it has been designed with comfort and functionality in mind.
- Made from 65% polyester and 35% cotton rip stop fabric for maximum durability in the rugged conditions
- Fade resistant fabric
- Articulating knees and gusseted crotch offer improved movement
- High-stress areas are reinforced so that they don’t wear off easily
Allows adding additional knee pads
- Large and strong elastic waistband provide better fit and comfort
- Extra wide belt loops
- Large slanted cargo and front slip pockets allows easy access.
- Sizing seems to run smaller
- Button and zip could be more heavy duty
With a wide variety of features and specifications available in the tactical pants market today, it surely is difficult to find the right pants for you.
Keeping in mind considerations like fabric, style, features like waterproof, reinforcements, durability and price can help you filter and choose better.
If you are going to use the pants in warm and humid environment, you should consider something breathable, made out of cotton, that provides you required warmth.
Similarly, if you wish you wear the pants while on duty as well as performing chores, you should buy pants with low profile design that are comfortable and flexible too.