A critical element of knowing how to lay tile is having the correct tools and materials for the job. There’s a saying that a craftsman is only as good as his tools.
|That doesn’t mean that you have to have the latest or most expensive models. It’s just about having the right tools and materials for the tiling job you want to tackle.
To lay ceramic tile on the floor these are the tools and materials you will need.
1. A tape measure. This is an absolute essential. You must be able to accurately measure the area where you are going to lay tile. A how to lay tile necessity is knowing the measurements of the area to be tiled so that you can work out how many tiles you need;
|2. A good drill with mixing paddle. A heavy duty model is preferable. You can rent one but if you plan to lay tile on other home decorating projects in the future it makes sense to buy;
3. A tile or wet saw. Again you can rent or buy;
4. A chalk line. A must to ensure you lay tile in a straight line;
5. A notched tile trowel to spread on the setting material. This will give a rib pattern ensuring an even thickness of material. Pick a trowel size suitable for the size of tiles you will be using;
6. A grout float. This is used to force grout into the joints between tiles. The face can be made from either rubber or foam;
7. Tile spacers. These will be used to give uniform joints between tiles. Choose size according to the size of grout line you want;
8. A bucket and sponge;
9. Setting compounds and flexible additive. There are many setting compounds on the market. Choose one suitable for ceramic floor tiles. The flexible additive is vital and it ensures the tile won’t crack when people walk over it;
11. Backsplash (quarter inch thick) if you are installing over a wooden floor. Not necessary if ceramic tiling onto a concrete floor;
12. Protection gear such as safety goggles, gloves, overalls, or old clothes, and knee pads (knees take quite a bit of punishment when laying a tile floor); and last but certainly not least
13. The ceramic tiles of your choice.
Now that you’ve got all your tools and materials together, learn how to lay tile like a pro with this [http://tiletechnique.com]set of instructional laying tile videos.
Add value to your home by learning how to [http://tiletechnique.com]achieve a professional finish to your tile laying.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Steve_McIntyre http://EzineArticles.com/?How-To-Lay-Tile—Tools-And-Materials-Required-For-Laying-Ceramic-Floor-Tiles&id=735282