Hunting boots are one of the most essential gears when you are in the woods, and need to focus on hunting, rather than struggling with your shoes or worrying about the terrain.
There are a wide variety of style and features available in the market today, making it overwhelming to find the right hunting pair to match your needs.
Related: 10 Best Work Boots
Before buying your next pair of shoes, there are few considerations you should keep in mind like durability, insulation to provide you warmth in extreme weather environments, ease of taking them on and off along with material used and type of sole and lace.
Height is another important consideration to keep in mind. While ankle length boots are more flexible and easier to walk long-distance in, high knee-boots provide extra support when you are carrying heavy weight and keep snow and debris out helping you stay warm, dry and comfortable.
If you are planning to hunt in swampy areas or snow, it is best to opt for waterproof design. Rubber construction are 100% waterproof. However, rubber can make it difficult for your feet to breathe. GoreTex material might be little expensive but offer great combination of waterproofing and breathability.
10 Best Cold Weather Hunting Boots
To help you find the right hunting boots, we made a list of our top cold weather hunting boots based on reviews, specifications and features.
1. Irish Setter Men’s 2870 Vaprtrek Waterproof 8″ Hunting Boot
This Vaprtrek is the ultimate hunting boot meant for the toughest terrain with authentic hunting boot look. This is a very durable pair meant to last for a very long time in the toughest hunting conditions.
- Waterproof and durable design
- Extra support in the ankle and heel for use in any terrain
- Upto 40% lighter than traditional hiking boots
- Unique ScentBan feature controls scent from escaping your boots
- Insulation in the boots provides warmth and more comfortable in cold temperatures
- Tough camouflage look with laces upto the ankle for extra support and grip
2. Lowa Men’s Tibet GTX Trekking Boot
One of the most popular hiking and trekking boots, the Lowa pair are great ankle-height leather boots meant for relatively dry or rugged terrain. They deliver performance, quality and durability that won’t disappoint anyone.
- Hiking, trekking and hunting boots
- Made out of high wear resistance leather with Vibram sole for perfect traction over rough terrain
- Climate control lining, made from Gore-Tex material provides lightweight, waterproof and reduces friction for all-weather use
- Merrell Air Cushion Midsole feature provides shock absorption and stabilizes the foot for extra comfort while navigating slopes and hills
- No-slippage lacing feature keeps your boot on at all times
- Excellent insulation for cold weather
3. Columbia Men’s Bugaboot Plus III Omni Cold-Weather Boot
If you are looking for a heavy-duty long lasting pair, the Bugaboot Plus III you should take a look at the Bugaboot Plus III. These ankle high boots are designed specially for freezing cold weather, featuring Omni-Heat reflective lining with 200g insulation that can withstand sub zero temperatures easily. They score very well on durability and comfort, however are relatively heavier due to the insulation.
- Made of durable leather and textile with rubber sole
- Techlite lightweight midsole for superior comfort, better cushioning, with high energy return
- Omni-Grip non-marking traction rubber outsole
- Good insulation for extreme weather
- Waterproof design
4. The Original Muckboots Adult FieldBlazer Hunting Boot
From the industry leaders in manufacturing hunting boots, the Muckboots Adult FieldBlazer are unisex hunting boots that deliver all-round comfort and performance. These stylish knee high boots are perfect for any terrain, as they are completely waterproof and can handle extreme conditions with temperature resistance.
- Designed specially for wetlands with 100% water resistance, using the CR flex-foam that
- features 4-way stretch nylon, flexibility and buoyancy while still being light in weight.
- Temperature resistance that are advertised to withstand a whopping -85F.
- Reinforced achilles support panel is flexible enough to support any ankle
- Vulcanized rubber shell which is durable and abrasion-resistant along with a self-cleaning, anti-slip rugged outsole
- Breathable air mesh linings and wrap-up toe bumper for protection
5. Bogs Men’s Classic High Camo Winter Snow Boot
Built for comfort, durability and warmth, the Classic High Camo Winter Snow Boots are perfect all-year round rubber boots. These camouflage boots are easy to wear, fit amazingly well and are designed with a high cut, so that you can go hunting without worrying about mud, snow or swampy terrain. These boots provide extreme cold protection in temperatures upto -40F.
- Completely waterproof
- Perfect for both men and women
- Superb -40F warmth retention
- Antimicrobial insoles offer better hygiene and odor control
- Neoprene insulation
- Steel shank offers greater support
- Non-slip rubber sole provides excellent grip on wet terrain
- 4-way stretch with tall uppers for great fit
- Excellent camouflage
6. LaCrosse Men’s AeroHead 18” 3.5mm Hunting Boot
These LaCrosse hunting boots are one of the most popular rubber boots thanks to its versatility and comfort. These high-knee boots are made from superior quality neoprene with excellent sole and 100% waterproof design.
- Tall booths perfect for wet terrains with mud, sludge or snow.
- Features waterproof construction as made completely from rubber including the sole
- Very comfortable and excellent fit with cushioned midsole and an adjustable back gusset
- Insulated and breathable, to keep you warm and dry
- Integrated shanks for support and stability
7. Kenetrek Men’s Mountain Extreme Ni Hunting Boot
As the name suggests, these are undeniably one of the toughest boots made for the harshest and rocky terrain, so that you do not need to worry about challenging grip or comfort. Made from tough, waterproof leather, they have the authentic hiking boot look.
- Made from leather and rubber soles they are great for tough terrain
- Improved abrasion resistance with 100% waterproof construction
- Midsoles to provide extra support
- Flexible membrane to improve breathability
- Lightweight soles deliver superb traction
- Comfortable and lightweight
8. MuckBoots Unisex Woody Sport Hunting Boot
These unisex hunting boots are great for multi terrain, that live up to its name. They are built to keep you toasty and dry in all terrains and weather, while providing you right support and durability.
- Cushioned mid sole for extra support and comfort
- 4-way stretch nylon with stretch-fit topline bindings makes it easy to wear and provide snug fit
- High-abrasion outsole
- Knee length with waterproof camo shaft and reinforced toe to protect your feet in all situation
- Airmesh lining to improve breathability
- Lightweight construction to make walking easier
9. Irish Setter Men’s Elk Tracker WP Insulated Boot
From the house of Irish Setter, these boots provide great value for money with great comfort insoles and tough outsole meant to last for years. These might not be the top available boots and are relatively heavier, however they are great for the price with superior quality and durability.
- 1000g Thinsulate Ultra Insulation making it ideal for freezing environments
- Gore-Tex lining protects your feet against water
- Use of memory foam in the insole provides extra cushion and comfort providing you
- comfort when you are hunting for that elk
- Bulls-Eye Air Bob sole for greater traction in steep and difficult conditions
10. Scarpa Kinesis Pro GTX Boots
These leather finished boots have a stylish yet classic look. It offers great combination of top grade material with superior workmanship and performance. Manufactured in Europe, they are quite rugged to be used in all terrains with design that will look great for casual wear too.
- Tall boot provides support to the ankles to prevent injury while hunting and shank provides
- stability on difficult terrains.
- Made with durable nubuck leather upper padded with waterproof Gore-Tex interior
- Vibram traction outsole for flexibility, comfort and durability
- Rubber rand around the entire boot makes the boot last longer
- Contoured footbed and midsole cushion for more comfort
- Lightweight and durable construction
Before buying hunting boots, it is always a good idea to list down the terrain you will be hunting on, weather conditions, and other features required. This will give you a fair idea about what to look for when closing down on the right pair and features required.
Also, once your shoes arrive, do not wait for the hunting season to try on the new pair. Give yourself sometime at home to get used to the new pair, so that you have time to get comfortable in them and know what to expect.